Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eat Your Vegetables

A couple months ago Michael and I took my sister, brother-in-law and niece to YEAH! Burger, and the side of the month was roasted Brussels sprouts with goat cheese. YUM! Well, anything with goat cheese is fantastic. But what amazed me was that my sister went completely gaga over the Brussels sprouts themselves. She'd never had them prepared by roasting! That got me thinking...there must be a lot of people who've never had them that way. Well, if that's you, and especially if you hate slimy, mushy, boiled Brussels sprouts, you owe it to yourself to try it. They're not mushy, they're not slimy, and you can make them as crispy as you like by stripping off more leaves (more loose leaves = more crunchy bits).

This recipe is from Cooking Light. I've changed it just a little bit (doubled so it's for four and changed some things around).

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples

modified from a recipe in Cooking Light

1 cup diced apple (about 1 apple)
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (with as many leaves pulled off as you'd like)
1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 T olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 t dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Toss all ingredients and place in one layer on a cookie sheet or baking stone.
 
Bake for 25 minutes. Serves 4.
 
Easy peasy!

8 comments:

gracie said...

I love Brussell sprouts but never had them this way. Must try it!

Joysze said...

I love brussel sprouts and have had them all sorts of ways, but never with apples! Thanks for this, Heather. :D

Terri said...

This sounds really good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

autumngeisha said...

I just bookmarked this recipe and will have to try it next week. I am one of those people who have only had mushy Brussels sprouts. Not a good experience.

Aimee said...

Ooh, yay! Totally pinning this. I looooove roasted Brussels sprouts. Never tried them until age 35, and they are now officially my favorite veggie. The boys love them, too. Jason? Notsomuch. I don't care, though, cuz I eat his portion.

Can't wait to try this, thanks!

cucki said...

it is sound so yummyy..
love cucki xxx

Melanie said...

Looks yummy! And that's saying a lot because brussels sprouts aren't my fav. lol I'll eat the smaller ones if they are roasted to crispy perfection but that's about it. Or roasted with pancetta because...........BACON!!

Is that a Pampered Chef pan I spy? I have some thicker dish pottery pieces from them (like brownie pan sized) and they are my favs! Sooooooooo great for roasting. I don't think they had cookie sheet ones when I originally bought mine years ago. Hmmm....

geeky Heather said...

Oooo, bacon would be a great addition to this!! Apples and bacon...mmm...

It is, indeed, a Pampered Chef pan. "Stoneware Bar Pan", I think. I have it in three sizes, and I use those more than any other PC stoneware I have.

Old Geek-outs